A Hypothetical Monologue on Earth.





A naturalist philosopher was at a party full of families and children. Asked why he had no children, and that it was a pity that he did not reproduce himself, the naturalist philosopher replied:

I can understand your feelings, as you have reproduced and followed your DNA program to the full, so there is no possibility you may conceive reproduction as a questionable issue, but for me, who have to think things beforehand in a careful way, being a philosopher, bringing a new DNA organism to this rock implies that I agree that he (or she) be subjected to the intolerance of the ignorant majority of people who are manipulated by religion, economic power, and neoliberal ideology, not to speak of all the suffering and pain a natural life entails. Once you realise that there is no equality of rights, no freedom of expression, no freedom of the press, but a mass media pandering on the war the elites want and need, spreading hate among different nations as if they were not humans but inferior beings, all of it to attain natural resources and power, what means cheating through patriotism and fear..., well, I cannot convince myself that I have the right to enable a living thing to suffer that. Of course, my offspring may enjoy now and then some love, some adventure, some happiness, but, in general, life as it is demands so much self-deception to justify it and promote it with a new organism of my own that I cannot do it. Philosophy in me prevents that self-deception induced by our DNA program contained in our genes. I understand we all feel alone and that solitude is hard to endure, that we need company, that we are made to reproduce, that it is natural, but I prefer solitude and do not draw my morals from nature; she is not a paramount example of virtue and goodness to follow, you know.

By now, the mothers, who had formed a phalanx around their children, said that the magician was coming and that everybody should go there, at the end of the garden: “The world is magic!,” cried the man with the big hat appearing from nowhere. It was an experience to see all the children laughing.







Comentarios